Weight loss: Health benefits of Muay Thai
Most people, especially in recent years, have made fitness and health a primary priority. The benefits on the body have been studied for ages and the benefits have been proven time and time again. However, one of the drawbacks people have with working out is how much it feels like work.
For some people, just going to the gym or going for a jog isn’t enough to motivate them to exercise. This has caused many to seek out alternative options to the traditional methods of exercise. One of the newest waves that have seen people from all ages and sizes gravitating to is Muay Thai.
Though Muay Thai may have originally been perceived as dangerous or violent, that perception has changed among many and is currently being embraced as a good form of exercise.
Health Benefits of Muay Thai
As it relates to fitness, Muay Thai has many benefits. Let’s take a look at a few:
- It helps burn calories - Having a good exercise routine can do wonders to help you burn all those extra calories you’re dying to shed. Muay Thai can burn up to 690 calories in a one-hour session. That is far more than you can burn on the treadmill within the same time.
- It can help build your abs - One of the benefits you may get when you train Muay Thai regularly is washboard abs. Muay Thai encompasses lots of skipping and twisting when you punch and kick, which all engages your core and abdominal muscles. Additionally, when you use bags and pads, you will naturally begin to develop quicker timing, and these fast movements will cause you to burn more calories.
- Automatic Strength training - While you won’t necessarily be lifting heavy weights, Muay Thai training comprises exercises that will develop the strength of your muscles. A typical session includes rounds of shadow-boxing, bag work, pad work, strength training and conditioning exercises that can last 1-2 hours.
- Has the ability to lower blood pressure - If you have high blood pressure, your doctor will most likely advise you to adopt lifestyle modifications. This includes developing a daily routine that has some cardiovascular exercises. Cardio makes the heart stronger and gives it the ability to pump more blood with less effort. As a result, the stress on your arteries are reduced and hence your blood pressure will decrease.
- Gives you mental stamina - Muay Thai doesn’t only push your body to great lengths, but also your mind. The mental stamina is needed in order to meet physical demands on your body. You will learn to push past the soreness and fatigue in order to reach your goals.
- Provides you with an endorphin rush - A good intense workout has the ability to release endorphins, which will trigger an overall positive feeling in the body. The term “runner's high” is typically used to describe this rush of euphoria people feel after they run, but it really occurs with any form of exercise. These hormones have been proven to reduce depression, and the frequency of chronic headaches. Sounds like a win-win, right?
- Muay This is fun - Another issue that many people confront is feeling imprisoned in a routine. They become bored with their training and eventually lose their drive to workout. Muay Thai keeps things fun! Every training session is unique. You're always learning and improving, which keeps things interesting as you train.
The health benefits of Muay Thai training are vast, and as more people continue to gravitate to this amazing sport, the amazing community grows with great athletes. If you’ve been on the fence about joining your local Muay Thai gym, this is your sign that you should.
Don’t forget to purchase quality equipment for your safety and progress.